TikTok Ad Guidelines & Review Checklist
In this article we’ve broken the most important information about TikTok ad guidelines and review checklists for your convenience. For TikTok advertising, people often wonder what rules and standards should be followed to stay up to code. All advertising and social media platforms have these, but each is different.
We analyzed all of TikTok’s guidelines and checklists to ensure you meet all the requirements for ad posting. After all, It would be frustrating to finalize an ad and only to be blocked for missing out on a few regulations.
TikTok Advertiser Policies
For any brand or TikTok advertising agency, the advertiser is responsible for making sure everyone complies with laws and regulations for ad targeting. It’s important to be honest and make sure anything you promote is done clearly.
Policies set by TikTok ensure the platform maintains a positive environment, and they’re updated as the world progresses and new ideas come about.
Make Sure the Format and Functionality is Correct: Format and functionality is the surrounding border of the advertisement. This is how a user reacts to the ad. If this portion is not meeting their standards, the entire user experience and final landing page are off. These parts of the advertisement need to be considered:
- Landing page requirements
- Ad consistency
- Ad language
The appearance and activation of the ad should coincide with the rest of TikTok’s standards, while allowing the brand to take full control of its positioning and overall aesthetic presentation.
Landing pages should be related to the product, and there should be no broken links. With ad consistency, all messaging and presentation should align to avoid confusion.
Finally, the language needs to reach the appropriate target market effectively. These are all the different languages used on the platform, and its respective country:
- Australia: English
- Austria：German and English
- Brazil: Portuguese
- Belgium：Dutch, German, French, and English
- Canada: English
- Denmark: Danish and English
- Egypt: Arabic and English
- Finland: Finnish, Swedish and English
- France: French and English
- Germany: German and English
- Hong Kong: Mandarin(Traditional Chinese), Cantonese and English
- Indonesia: Indonesian
- Ireland: Irish and English
- Israel: Hebrew and English
- Italy: Italian and English
- Japan: Japanese
- Malaysia: Bahasa Melayu and English
- Netherlands: Dutch and English
- Norway: Norwegian and English
- Philippines: Filipino (Tagalog) and English
- Poland: Polish and English
- Russia: Russian
- Saudi Arabia: Arabic and English
- Singapore: Bahasa Melayu, Chinese and English
- South Korea: Korean
- Spain: Spanish and English
- Sweden: Swedish and English
- Switzerland: German, French, Romansh, Italian and English
- Taiwan: Mandarin (Traditional Chinese)
- Thailand: Thai
- Turkey: Turkish and English
- United Arab Emirates: Arabic and English
- United Kingdom: English
- United States: English
- Vietnam: Vietnamese
Look Closely at the Ad Caption/Text, Image, and Video: It’s important that all of these align with one another, and that each item is appropriate for the target audience. This also ensures a level of cohesiveness among the ad.
This is the Following Prohibited Content: There are certain elements that aren’t allowed on the platform. The following are prohibited from appearing in TikTok ads:
- Illegal services and activity
- Drugs and drug paraphernalia
- Weapons, ammunition and explosives
- Tobacco products and smoking
- Political content
- Military content
- Discriminatory content
- Adult sexual content
- Copyright infringement
- Misleading claims
- Sensational and shocking content
- Data collection
Be Aware of Restricted Content: Along with prohibited content, there’s a list of restricted and topics:
- Gambling and lotteries
- Religion and culture
- Protection of minors
- Weight control/management
Full TikTok Ad Review Checklist to Consider
After finishing preparations for your advertisements, run through this final checklist to ensure it meets TikTok’s advertising standards. The TikTok Ad Review Checklist:
- Make sure the language chosen complies with your audience
- Manage grammar, symbols, or tacky forms of spelling in all text
- Be aware of copy that doesn’t match the ad
- Always strive for high-quality media
- Create consistency with creative and display names on the landing page
- Make sure products featured align with the landing page
- Avoid elements that require additional permission within the landing page
- Make sure the background audio is clear, especially since audio is required for video ads
TikTok Ad Guidelines Final Thoughts
Guidelines and regulations for ads are primarily for the safety of t viewers and positive outcomes with advertising.
These guidelines are standard, not a case-by-case basis. Making sure all TikTok ads are under the same regulations assures marketers that no ad is favored over the other.
What are your thoughts on the copy guidelines and review checklist? Have you run into any issues when running your own ad? Let us know about your process, and any thoughts you have on this type of campaign management.