Walmart is a retail store that has been known to be the frontrunner for several years and counting. From brick and mortar to e-commerce, millions are searching and shopping for items in both ways.
In fact, Walmart has a huge impact at the international level. There’s a lot that can be learned from this company, especially as it continues to evolve and match the needs of the ever-changing consumer.
With Walmart being a huge part of the US and opening stores at the international level, there’s much that can be learned from them on a business and marketing side. First, let’s look at some Walmart stats that back up the claim that Walmart is one of the most successful companies to date.
1. There are Over 11,000 Walmart Stores Globally
The success that Walmart has created the extraordinary capability that it can open and operate 11,300 stores globally. Cool, right?
2. Walmart has 2.2 Million Employees and Counting
In total, from retail to corporate, Walmart employs over 2.2 million people. That number is set to diminish any time soon either.
3. There are 74,000 Personal Shoppers Staffed
Of those 2.2 million, there are 74,000 dedicated to shopping for you and your needs. Now a consumer doesn’t have to do any heavy-lifting whatsoever.
4. A Total of 5,993 Stores Reside Outside of the US
Since there is such a reach Walmart has been able to achieve domestically,
5. Mexico Leads with Amount of International Stores
Walmart is a powerhouse and so is Walmart advertising. Let’s break it down to see what countries and continents have stores and how many they all have.
- Africa (436)
- Argentina (92)
- Canada (411)
- Central America (811)
- Chile (371)
- China (443)
- India (22)
- Japan (332)
- Mexico (2,442)
- United Kingdom (633)
6. 4,769 Stores are in the US
In all 50 states, stores are spanned across at a comfortable distance, making shopping at Walmart uber convenient for all.
7. And There 3,570 Walmart Supercenters in the US
Not only do consumers have access to regular Walmarts, but also the supercenters that offer even more products and grocery items.
8. Walmart Sells a Whopping 75 Million Products
Compared to Instacart selling 50 million, Walmart seems to be the front-runner in product variety. This gives consumers easy access to what they need.
9. 100,000 Suppliers Produce Those Products
In order to have all of those products, 100,000 suppliers representing different brands and product types are able to send Walmart the 75 million different varieties.
10. 60 Million Items are Currently Listed for Sale
Of those 75 million products, 60 million are active on the market and for sale. This could be due to sellouts or product availability.
11. Sam’s Club (Walmart’s Sister Store) Has 599 Stores Total
The sister brand has also been able to expand quite immensely for shoppers who like to pick up items in bulk.
12. The Company Sees 275 Million Weekly Customers
This statistic allows people to see that the number of stores currently open are all there to cater the millions of consumers loyal to the brand.
13. 27 Countries Host at Least One Walmart
Walmart has been able to reach the international level in a variety of ways. Affordable and convenient, more countries are adapting to this new way of living.
14. Walmart Holds 6% Market Share of US Online Consumer Goods
Although this number may seem small, it holds a lot of weight to it that not every company is able to speak to. Think of it this way.
Walmart is not only going up against other large entities like Amazon or Target. They’re also competing with the smaller businesses, and all are capable of taking market share.
15. It’s Annual Revenue for 2019 was $514.4 Billion
The number each year only continues to climb. Compared to 2018, the revenue has increased at a total of $14 billion. When looking at 2017, the revenue was only at $485.9 billion.
The store has only ever continued to grow. Even in 2008 during the peak of the Great Recession, we saw about a $30 billion increase from the year before.
16. In 2020’s First Quarter, it Topped Out at $123 Billion
This year looks to be promising for another record-breaking year. In the first quarter alone, Walmart has seen $123 billion in revenue. The first quarter is also known to be the smallest quarter of the year too.
With the current pandemic occurring, Walmart might achieve over the expected as its a hotspot store to serve the essentials that so many were seeking as everyone began quarantining and social distancing at home.
17. Walmart’s Operating Income for 2019 Was $21.957 Billion
For Walmart, on the internal operating level have been able to achieve such a large amount. Each year, the company has seen incremental growth.
Compared to 2018, the income differed by about $2 billion.
18. Of the Annual Income, $22.4 Billion in Sales Came From E-Commerce
E-commerce has been a huge factor for businesses, especially as they gravitate to online shopping. We should expect to see an increase as more people this year alone have taken to social distancing and ordering their needs online.
19. In the US Alone, There are 1.5 Million Employees
Walmart plays a major factor in the economy when it comes to the amount of their employees. If they were to be out of work tomorrow, 1.5 million employees would be filing for unemployment and millions of families would be affected.
20. 700,000 Employees Reside Outside of the US
Not only does Walmart have a hand in the US economy, but also on the international level.
21. For 90% of the US, There’s a Walmart Within 10 Miles of Them
Walmart was smart to create the tactic that all brick and mortars could be within such a short distance of each other.
22. 10 Million of Walmart’s ‘Scan to Buy’ Users are in China
This system actually failed in the US, but China has enjoyed and taken to the new service quickly.
23. 20.4 Million Monthly Visitors Shop at Sam’s Club
On top of the success of Walmart, 20.4 million people also shop in bulk with the company.
24. 75% of Walmart.com Sales Come From Non-Store Inventory
The online store has a huge impact on sales. No brick and mortar can carry all items offered in their stores and so this is a huge idea that Walmart has been able to profit.
25. 57% of Walmart Employees are Women and 43% are Men
As of now, Walmart employs more women than men. As there are a lot of companies that are more male-dominated, it’s interesting to see this change in lead.