Leveraging a doorstep grocery delivery service to grow market reach and increase sales for an over-the-counter (OTC) cold and flu brand. (confidental)
A large global OTC cough and cold medication brand approached JungleTopp to help them leverage the growing popularity of the grocery delivery platform, Instacart, through Instacart’s self-serving advertising platform.
OUR STRATEGYUsing Instacart’s self-serving ads platform, JungleTopp placed the brand in front of the right shoppers at the right time by executing a multi-level strategy.
- Leverage the best performing organic Instacart keywords as well as keywords from Other ecommerce marketplaces.
- Utilize Instacart and other relevant marketplaces to conduct extensive keyword research and gain valuable strategic insights.
- Create four campaigns for different product lines. Within each campaign, set up Ad Groups based on key factors such as symptoms, strength, and type.
- Start by launching an aggressive category keywords bidding strategy to maximize impressions and clicks. This establishes baseline sales numbers without utilizing branded keywords.
- Jump into branded keywords bidding with an aggressive strategy to go up against competitors and measure impact against baseline sales numbers.
- Keep improving results by increasing spend on high performing keywords and backing off of low performing keywords. This is achieved by using both manual and AI tactics.
The OTC cough and cold medication industry is worth $15 Billion in the United States. While the market grew by 8.4% in the last 5 years, it grew by 65.7% in 2020 alone due to Covid-19 induced fears . It’s not just the OTC medication industry that’s been affected by the pandemic, many consumer buying habits have transformed. With the growing adoption of online grocery shopping, Instacart saw a 296.5% rise in app downloads between February and March of 2020 .
Additionally, precautionary behaviours showed that consumers were more likely to buy OTC medications, with 29.3% saying they’d definitely buy and 32.1% saying they might purchase OTC medications for precautionary reasons .
These rapid shifts in consumer behavior gave the brand the perfect opportunity to position themselves on Instacart to reach more customers online.