Increasing over-the-counter (OTC) medication sales by leveraging a grocery delivery app’s ads platform. (confidental)
A large global OTC cough relief medication brand approached JungleTopp to help them gain more customers on the increasingly popular grocery delivery app, Instacart.
JungleTopp implemented a comprehensive, multi-tiered strategy to maximize the brand’s return on ad spend (ROAS) on Instacart’s self-serving ads platform, reaching their target market with high-performing ads at exactly the right time to increase sales.
- Leverage the best performing organic Instacart keywords as well as keywords from Other ecommerce marketplaces.
- Set up and refine two campaigns focusing on specific product lines with numerous Ad Groups based on symptoms, product strength, and type.
- ALaunched an aggressive bidding strategy on category keywords to maximize impressions and clicks and establish an organic sales baseline.
- Block out competitors with an aggressive bidding strategy on branded keywords.
- Boost high performing keywords while suppressing irrelevant keywords using both manual and AI optimization tactics.
The $15.5 billion markets for OTC cough, cold, and allergy products grew at an average of 8.4% each year between 2015-2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic has exploded this growth to an expected 65.7% increase for 2020. Increasing demand in 2020 presented a big opportunity for OTC medication brands, but the pandemic also shifted consumer buying habits away from drug stores towards online shopping and home delivery. Instacart provides home delivery for all items that can be bought at a grocery store, including OTC medication. From February to March of 2020, at the beginning of the pandemic, Instacart saw close to a 300% rise in app downloads.
Watching this increasing demand and shift in consumer behavior unfold, the brand decided it was time to utilize Instacart’s ad platform to get in front of their target market while they’re doing their online shopping.