YouTube has been a consistently influential platform for creative video content in this generation. Without it, how would we find that makeup tutorial or build that impossible Ikea drawer set? YouTube has videos for everything, so many creators are wondering how they can stand out in the midst of all the noise.
We’ll look into the algorithm. This is a huge factor in finding anything discoverable on a platform, whether it’s Google or Instagram. Together we’ll look at how we can go deeper into understanding the YouTube algorithm and how to overcome it as a personal creator. Now let’s get the video rolling!
What is the YouTube Algorithm?
YouTube describes its algorithm as “…a real-time feedback loop that tailors videos to each viewer’s different interests.” This decides how videos are shown to viewers. These two key factors are how the algorithm will impact your videos:
- The Algorithm Influences Search Results: Search results are determined by the metadata, which includes descriptions like the title, description, and keywords. It’s also important to see how well the text matches the user’s query. The algorithm looks into the video’s overall engagement, which includes likes, comments, and the amount of time spent watching.
- The Algorithm Influences Recommended Videos: This happens in two parts. In the first part, videos are ranked by scores based on performance analytics data. In the second, videos are matched to viewers based on their watch histories. They also compare certain viewers with similar interests.
The algorithm is also affects the areas of YouTube’s setup:
- YouTube homepage
- Your notifications
- Your subscriptions
- Trending videos
Have you noticed this with your own account? Let us know about our recent experiences.
These Are Five Tips to Beat it
Now that you have a good understanding of the YouTube algorithm, let’s look into the five best ways you can overcome it:
1. Make Sure to Optimize Description Text on Videos
A video’s text description is there to help with searches for related topics. It is also a great place to link all social media for a bigger following on other outlets. Be sure to use natural language and focus on brand-relevant keywords.
2. Repeat What Works
Make sure you give attention to areas your viewers enjoy the most. Ask yourself what those key elements mean to your followers. Is it the content’s setup or originality? Follow the analytics on the page, as well as your own intuition.
3. Consistently Publish Content
Never sacrifice quality for quantity, but make it your mission to keep the content schedule consistent for your viewers. When planning out content and posting regularly, the algorithm takes this into account, making the work more available for viewing. When more videos are published, you’ll have more opportunities to reach more people.
4. Ensure Videos Are Public for Your Audience
Once a video goes live, make sure your viewers are aware by signing subscribers up for notifications. You can also pick a day and time that your viewers are most engaged. If you’re unsure when that is, rely on the platform’s analytics for a clearer understanding.
5. Engagement is Key for Videos
Not everyone will watch your video to the end. Find out where viewers are stopping if they’re not completing it. After finding out where the viewership drops off, you might be able to discover how to pivot for better viewership in the future. The video should be clickable, but people should also retain the purpose of the content.
Our Final Thoughts
How do you plan on tackling the algorithm? Now that you have a better understanding, you can take over the YouTube platform. Let us know what your plans are for the YouTube platform, and what you plan to accomplish for your own creator/advertising page.